How to Write the Science
Price £14.99 €16.99
Pinched Crown quarto (249 x 177mm) 260pgs
Author Brian Price
Call customer services to buy 01752 202301
Brian Price is a chemist, biologist and avid reader of crime fiction. He has worked as a tutor in science and technology for the Open University, as an environmental consultant and has worked for the U.K. Environment Agency. He now advises crime writers on the scientific accuracy of their work and writes.
Ideal for professional and aspiring crime writers.
How many times have you read a crime novel describing a poisoning, a stabbing, an explosion or a shooting and realised it’s wrong? Mistakes jar and can undermine a brilliant plot. This guide will help you to avoid these mistakes, save you research time and ensure that your writing is scientifically credible. Crime writers increasingly look for accuracy in their work and this book, which assumes no previous scientific knowledge, will be a valuable asset for both novices and experienced writers and will also fascinate readers who love crime fiction.
This book explains:
• The nature of poisons and how they work.
• How to knock out a character and avoid killing them
• The nature of explosives are and what happens in an explosion..
• How fires start and their effects on people and buildings.
• Firearms, suppressors and how they work.
Mechanisms for murder.
• Tips on fighting back from an attack and escaping from captivity.
• Problems of body disposal and crime scene clean-up.
• The nature and use of DNA.
• Forensic techniques & how evidence can be misinterpreted.
Reviews on Amazon
Paperback Verified Purchase Invaluable step-by-step guide, which looks at the science behind the crime scene. This book is well written, informative and easy to use. A must-have.
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This is a great and easy to read reference for the science behind writing crime. It will definitely be a well used tool in my writing. I also like how case studies are included to show what is being told / explained. Easy recommendation from me!